If you are on this page, then you have already (or almost) decided on the type of inverter you want. Now you probably want to find the best 3000-watt inverter available for your van, RV, Boat, or off-grid solar power system.
This article provides guides for different types of inverters, and then takes you through criteria and functions if you have not narrowed your list down yet.
Included are several videos that help explain the differences between Modified Sine Wave, Pure Sine Wave, and High Frequency and Low Frequency inverters.
Table of contents
- Inverter Overview
- 3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter w/Input – 12V, Output – 110/120V
- 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 12V, Output – 110/120V (High Frequency)
- 3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 24V, Output – 110/120V
- 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 36V, Output – 110/120V
- 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 48V, Output – 110/120V
- Best 3,000 Watt Inverter Charger – (Pure Sine Wave, Low Frequency)
- Inverter Choices
- Modified or Pure Sine Wave Power Inverters
- Low & High-Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverters
- Best 3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverters
- Best 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters
- Samlex Solar EVO-3012 Evolution Series 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger
- Go-Power GP-SW3000-12; 3,000-watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- AIMS Power 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger 12V
- Xantrex 815-3012 Freedom SW Series 3000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger
- AIG 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- VertaMax 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter-12V
- Criteria for Choosing a 3,000 Watt Inverter
- Related Posts
There are over 30 different types of inverters on the market, and they can come in 4 main input voltages and 2 main output voltages.
Making a decision is not easy, but I’ll help provide direction.
If you already know what you need, you can go ahead and check out the guides below. The inverters listed get good reviews and are our top picks.
We have grouped the guides into the categories below.
- Input Voltage – 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V
- Output Voltage – 110/120V or 220/240V
- Waveform – Pure Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave
- Design – Low-Frequency Pure Sine Wave or High-Frequency Pure Sine Wave
- Functionality – Inverter or Inverter Charger.
3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter w/Input – 12V, Output – 110/120V
The Modified Sine Wave Inverters are the least expensive. They are good for lights, some tools, and equipment that is not sensitive.
There are videos below that provide more detail on different types of inverters.
Modified Sine Wave Inverters are good for vans, or if you want to operate power tools intermittently.
Note that these inverters have a continuous power rating of 3,000 watts and a maximum surge of 6,000 watts. The input is 12V.
3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 12V, Output – 110/120V (High Frequency)
The Samlex America inverter is one of the best on this list. If you plan on running your inverter for long hours every day and moving it around, then you can’t go wrong with the Samlex inverter.
If your needs require less use, and you plan to run the inverter a few hours a week or less, consider the more cost-effective Renogy inverter. There is no advantage in spending a lot of money on an inverter you don’t use frequently.
Either inverter is a good quality inverter and will meet your needs.
3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 24V, Output – 110/120V
Modified Sine Wave inverters are usually less expensive, which makes them attractive for some buyers. However, for 3,000-watt inverters and higher, most people prefer to spend more and get a Pure Sine Wave high-frequency inverter.
3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 24V, Output – 110/120V (High Frequency) – 24V
3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 36V, Output – 110/120V
3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters w/Input – 48V, Output – 110/120V
Best 3,000 Watt Inverter Charger – (Pure Sine Wave, Low Frequency)
An inverter charger not only converts DC from your battery to AC for your appliances (120V), but if you are off-grid, it also converts AC power from your generator to DC power to charge your battery banks if needed.
Below is a list of the top 3,000 Watt Inverter Chargers that convert 12V DC to 120V AC. These are also Low Frequency (LF) Pure Sine Wave Inverters. LF inverters have high surge capacities. All the inverter chargers listed below have a continuous power rating of 3,000 Watts and a surge power rating of 9,000 Watts for a few seconds.
This is good for applications that require starting power spikes like motors, air conditioners, etc.
There are many inverters available. Take your time and check out reviews before making a purchase. Choosing a brand that has been in business for several years is important. A two-year warranty does you no good if the inverter manufacturer disappears next year, and this does happen.
In the next section, we have included additional information and videos with basic inverter knowledge. If you are interested in inverters with other capacities, we also have more guides.
Modified or Pure Sine Wave Power Inverters
There are 2 main types of Power Inverters. The Modified Sine Wave inverter and the Pure Sine Wave inverters. The videos below take you through the differences.
What is a Modified Sine Wave Inverter?
What is a Pure Sine Wave Inverter?
The Pure Sine Wave Inverters are more expensive but provide better current. The current they produce is similar to the current supplied by the electric grid, and in some cases even better. The Modified Sine Wave Inverters are less expensive and produce “rough” current that is better for some power equipment and some infrequently used appliances and tools.
Low & High-Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverters
There are two types of Pure Sine Wave Inverters. The low-frequency (LF) Pure Sine Wave Inverters and the high-frequency (HF) Pure Sine Wave Inverters.
What is a Low-Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverter?
The LF inverters use a larger copper transformer which makes them bigger, heavier, and more expensive. They are also generally better with equipment that requires high starting power, such as compressors, air-conditioners, etc. This is especially the case if you use this equipment regularly and for long periods.
What is a High-Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverter?
High-frequency inverters use smaller transformers and electronic components. They are lighter in weight and less expensive. These are good for the occasional user. These inverters are also good for electronic equipment and smaller devices, even when using them for several hours daily.
Best 3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverters
Choosing an inverter can be a big decision. They are not cheap, and if you live off-grid, you need an inverter that is dependable and will provide you with the power you need when you need it.
Every buyer has different needs, but if you are only using your inverter as a temporary backup or for lights and non-sensitive equipment, then a Modified Sine Wave Inverter may be a good choice for you.
In the section below, we have provided additional information on inverters we like.
Our Top Choice for All Round Best 3000 Watt Inverter – Modified Sine Wave Category!
KRIEGER 3,000 Watt Power Inverter-12V
We really like the Kriëger Inverter. It is dependable, compact and surprisingly quiet when the fan is running.
Based on our research this inverter provides great value at a very affordable price. This Kriëger Inverter has a three-year warranty and includes installation cables. This inverter is also portable.
Research supports this assessment, and at the time of this article, 84% of the reviews were four or five-star reviews.
- Small size – fits into small spaces
- 2 USB outlets
- Hardwire kit included
- Battery Cable included
- Wired remote starter
- LCD – Digital display
- It has a silent cooling fan.
- Some people find the included 3ft battery cable too short, especially when using the inverter in a vehicle.
- Some users complained that the lights on the inverter could be too bright at night. They wish it could be turned off. Most people don’t mind this, though.
Read a more detailed Krieger Inverter Review
Our Runner Up for All-Round Best 3000 Watt Inverter – Modified Sine Wave Category!
ENERGIZER 3,000 Watt Power Inverter
The Energizer brand is a well-recognized name. Both the Kreiger and Energizer inverters are dependable, quality brands that will both serve you well.
This particular inverter is well-known for it’s durability and it being easy to set up and use.
If you are having a tough time choosing between Kreiger and Energizer, consider the feedback. At the time of this article, the Energizer had significantly more reviews, and the four and five-star reviews were 86% of the total reviews.
Note also that it has a two year warranty while the Kreiger has a three year warranty.
- 2 AC power outlets
- Recognized, quality brand name
- Silent cooling fan
- Two USB outlets for charging more devices
- Charges cameras, etc without having to use a USB extension
- Hardwire connection ports
- 2 Yr Warranty and good customer support
- Have some noise on devices like laptops, but as expected from Modified Sine Wave Inverters
- LED is very bright on this inverter also
- Not as compact as expected
- Plug a little too snug
GIANDEL – 3,000-watt Power Inverter
This GIANDEL also has high marks for performance and dependability, and good news – it has a 15-foot cord! This is a more compact Modified Sine Wave inverter that is perfect for your truck, RV, or off-grid cabin or as an occasional backup inverter when you need it.
At the time of this article, 86% of the reviews were four and five-star reviews. While it only has one USB port, this is probably not an issue for most people.
- High marks for performance
- Quiet operation
- 15-foot cord
- Very easy to install
- Needs longer battery cables
- Only one USB port
Go-Power 3,000 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter with Home Connection Kit
This inverter receives mixed reviews, but the majority of them are positive. We included it because Go-Power is a good brand that makes quality inverters and because this inverter provides a specialty kit for home wiring.
At the time of this article, four and five star reviews were 77% of the total reviews listed.
- Appears well-built with a durable exterior
- The inverter has a kit allowing you to hardwire the inverter to your home’s electric system.
- No digital display to show the power consumption, battery voltage, and other outputs.
- No USB outlet
- Some complaints about output being not as advertised
Best 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters
Our Top Choice for All Round Best 3000 Watt Inverter – Pure Sine Wave Category!
Samlex Solar EVO-3012 Evolution Series 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger
This is one of the few 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Inverters with all 5-star reviews. This Samlex Solar is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for with this inverter.
If supplying reliable, off-grid solar power to my cabin, this is the inverter I would choose. Samlex backs up this inverter with a two-year warranty and excellent customer service.
The Samlex Solar provides many convenient features.
- Two separate AC inputs for grid & generator
- Adaptive battery charger
- Synchronized transfer at zero crossing
- High surge inverter with active power boost
- Input for the solar charge controller
Keep in mind that if you purchase this inverter, you should also consider purchasing the control panel. This panel is needed to make any settings you need.
- Robust and Reliable
- Adaptive Battery Transfer
- 9 Points of physical monitoring for protection
- 5 different temperature sensors
- Automatic transition from street to inverter
- Separate inputs for solar, gen, grid
- Great customer service
- Easy Installation
- Price – but this is not really a “con” since it is a high-quality Pure Sine Inverter
- No other real “cons” to report
Go-Power GP-SW3000-12; 3,000-watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
The Go-Power 3000-watt Pure Sine Wave inverter is well-built and durable. This inverter has both 24v and 12v versions and is designed to work well as part of your backup power system for your home.
This Pure Sine Wave Inverter is expensive, so you would expect an integrated LCD to provide information about the load and battery levels, but this is not the case with this inverter. I hope the company will take note and integrate a display in the future.
There is a remote on/off switch which has indicators for voltage levels and power output, but unfortunately, the remote on/of switch is sold separately. I would expect it to be included at this price.
The Go-Power 3,000 watt inverter has a peak output of 6,000 watts. This should be adequate for most household appliances and power tools. Although the inverter may not have all the bells and whistles, if you are looking for a reliable North American 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave inverter, you can’t go wrong with the Go Power Inverter.
- Well built by a North American company
- High-quality inverter and those that like it REALLY like it!
- Trustworthy warranty and good customer service
- Hardwire connection available
- 2 GFCI protected outlets
- Sleep function drawing very little power
- No LCD display
- More complicated set-up with generic instructions, but customer service is good
AIMS Power 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger 12V
The AIMS 3000-watt pure sine wave inverter is also a 100A smart battery charger. The integrated charger is useful when building a backup system for your home. You can keep your batteries charged when there is a power supply.
This inverter has many convenient features.
- Smart Battery Charger
- Adjustable max charge current
- Built-in battery selector
- Remote on/off switch (optional)
- Battery Temperature Sensor (optional)
- Generator sensor and auto generator start (optional)
One thing to keep in mind when purchasing this inverter is to purchase it through a certified AIMS Dealer so you can get support when you need it. Not all Amazon dealers are certified so keep this in mind when making a purchase.
- Integrated charger
- Well built – It can withstand tough use
- Handles up to 9000-watt peak power usage for 20 seconds. This will allow you to use equipment that requires more power to start appliances like a microwave oven.
- No LCD Screen to read your power usage or battery levels
- Only 2 power outlets – 2 are usually enough, but more would be convenient
Xantrex 815-3012 Freedom SW Series 3000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger
This Xantrex Inverter is not for the casual user. This inverter is designed to work continuously for a long period of time with very little wear and tear. The price is high but the Xantrex is load with functionality that those who use the features are willing to pay.
This inverter has automatic switches that can switch from battery power to a generator in an off-grid situation or from battery to the grid. If you have the budget and use your inverter regularly every day, this inverter is a powerhouse you should consider.
- Large temperature range for output performance
- A lot of more specialized functionality
- Built-in transfer switch
- Occasional complaints about customer service
- Optional panel has to be purchased to set battery type
- Will standby but not hibernate
- Wiring harness tough to wire – too tight
AIG 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
This is a good entry-level inverter for your RV. It will power some smaller air conditioners whose peak power requirements are not over 3000 watts. You can add your other devices after turning on the air conditioner. This inverter will serve most users well.
If you run your inverter for long hours, like in an off-grid location, I would advise you to take a look at some of the more durable inverters above.
VertaMax 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter-12V
This is the inverter for you if you want to save some money and still get a high-performance Pure Sine Wave inverter.
This inverter is a high-frequency unit so it may not power some equipment that draws a lot of power for a few seconds on start-up. However, it will power most home appliances and small air conditioners.
The LCD screen is one of the features on this unit that makes it a good choice at this price range.
This is a suitable inverter for small appliances if you are moving from a Modified Sine Wave Inverter. Note that it has a one-year warranty, and complaints about this particular inverter begin at about a year.
- 3 AC outlets with on/off switch
- Hardwire terminal block for permanent household wiring.
- LCD display to let you monitor your power usage and battery levels.
- Good support
- Has a one year warranty
- Shuts off under sudden low voltage
- Watt meter function complaints
Criteria for Choosing a 3,000 Watt Inverter
Picking the right 3000 watt inverter requires knowledge and time. Key points below will assist when making the choice.
- Noise: Most 3,000 watt inverters have automatic cooling systems that start a cooling fan once the temperature of the inverter becomes dangerously high. Some of these cooling fans can be quite noisy. If you are using your inverter for power tools, then the noise won’t bother you. If you are using the inverter at night or in a location where you need quiet, be conscious of the fan in the inverter you choose.
- The number of power outlets: Inverters are available with single outlets to power one device or multiple outlets to power multiple devices simultaneously. You will need to decide on the number of power outlets you need.
- The number of USB Ports: Some inverters come with USB ports that allow you to charge a wide range of electrical and electronic appliances, including cell phones, laptops, game consoles, power tools, etc.
- Safety Features: Common inverter safety features include overload sensors, alarms, temperature sensors, short circuit protection, etc. What you need will be dictated by how and where you use the inverter.
- Dimensions: Ensure the inverter fits in the space you have since inverters come in various sizes and weights. You can take the measurements of your previous inverter if you are replacing one or take the measurement of the space in your RV or home where you would like to place the inverter.
- Hardwire Port or Kit: This is important if you plan to use your inverter in an off-grid application like a shed, cabin, or backup power for your home. The hardwire port enables you to connect your inverter to the circuit you already have to use your appliances without connecting them directly to the inverter.
The Pure Sine Wave inverter is the right choice if you use your inverter for sensitive equipment and have the budget. The Modified Sine Wave Inverters have their uses also.
I have both types of inverters, and they serve me well. I don’t believe there is a need to spend money on a Pure Sine Wave inverter when all you need is a Modified Wine Wave Inverter.